In 2017, the UN warned that 80% of the planet’s wastewater are returned to the environment without having received any type of treatment. This fact is increasingly evident in poor countries, where only 8% of the total of these waters are treated.
The lack of treatment or the difficulty in eliminating waste generated by industries are determining factors in water pollution. Reason why, water pollution has increased at the same rhythm as industry development, becoming a major problem for health and the environment.
Example of this is the Salween River, located in the southeast Asia, which heads the list of the most contaminated rivers in the world. The contamination of its waters is mainly due to industrial activity of the area.
But which are the most common industrial pollutants? Continue reading this article if you want to find out the types of industrial discharges that are produced in industrial activity.
The residues present in industrial waters can be classified according to the type of industry that has generated them. Next, we are going to talk about the most contaminant industries.
- Mining: its waste is made up of suspended solids, organic matter, heavy metals and cyanides.
- textile and leather: they are major generators of water containing metals, sulphides, colorants and dyes, fats, solvents, microplastics and suspended solids.
- Automotive: its wastewater mainly contains oils, lubricants, paints, metals, fuels, etc.
- Iron and steel: produces a wide variety of pollutants, from heavy metals, acids and bases to oils, shavings and solids.
- Chemistry: a very polluting industry in dangerous chemical substances such as mercury, lead, silver, selenium and zinc.
- Agricultural: they discharge mainly compounds from stimulants and fertilizers such as nitrates and phosphates.
Treatment of industrial wastewaters
Due to the different nature of the different types of industrial pollutants, establishing a general treatment for the total elimination of residues is a complex task. For this reason, on many occasions a combination of different types of treatments is used, which is a very complex and expensive process.
In Bioferric Ink we offer a solution for the purification of these industrial waters. We apply a technology based on coated microparticles, whose coating will depend on the composition of the compound to be extracted. The filtering of industrial water with our technology will allow the purification of contaminated waters in a faster and cheaper way, leaving it ready for t reuse.